You are passionate about diving, you love the lifestyle, you want a career working in the most beautiful places in the world
Become a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor and live the dream
Divers will often remember their first dive instructor as the one who left a great influence and the most memories. He was the first contact to the underwater world when you took your very first breath and the one who helped turn fears into confidence. You trusted him and saw him as a mentor and a role model in scuba diving.
As a scuba diving instructor you will have more work opportunities in the diving industry and will be able to teach scuba diving around the world.
During the course you’ll learn how to apply the PADI System of Education by presenting at least
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- Integrating two skills on one open water teaching presentation
You will also attend and participate in the following 14 curriculum presentations:
- Course Orientation
- An overview of the Dive Industry
- PADI General Standards and Procedures
- The Role of Media and Prescriptive Teaching
- The Legal Responsibility and Risk Management
- The PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver Course
- How to do Adaptive Teaching
- The philosophy behind the PADI Continuing Education
- Business Principles for the Dive Instructor
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Specialty Diver Courses and Master Scuba Diver Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Diver Retention Programs
- How to Teach the RDP (Instructors from recreational diver training organizations other than PADI must complete.)
You will demonstrate competence at
- performing all 24 dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation.
- performing a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 metres/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.
During the course you’ll need to demonstrate competency in Dive theory by passing a five-part theory exam scoring 75% on each part .
The typical schedule for an Instructor Development Course is as follow:
- 1-2 days for preparation and update
- 3-4 days for PADI Assistant Instructor Rating
- 5-6 days for the Open Water Scuba Instructor
- 1 day for the Emergency First Response Instructor rating
- 1 day for the preparation of the Instructor Examination IE
For a total of around 2 weeks
The Instructor Examination IE
After completing the course at our dive center candidates will have to attend a PADI Instructor Examination ( IE ) and pass the tests with the PADI staff members. PADI will take the last decision according to the result of the IE and Lotus Diving don’t play a role and has no say in the outcome of this decision. It is solely based on individual performance to demonstrate a classroom presentation, a confined water presentation and an open water presentation on top of the theory exams.
OWSI students will have to buy a PADI IDC Crewpack that contains all the necessary material for the Open Water Scuba Instructor course and the Emergency First Response Instructor course for the price of 25,000 Baht.
- Instructor cue cards for PADI’s core courses (OWD, AOWD, Rescue Diver and Divemaster)
- IDC Candidate Workbook and related reference materials
- Lesson planning slates for confined and open water
- Quiz and exam booklets for the core courses
- Specialty outlines for Project AWARE
- PADI Instructor Manual
- Emergency First Response Instructor manual
An Assistant Instructor rating is required to go ahead with a full IDC but candidates can start as Divemaster and the Assistant Instructor course will be integrated as part of a whole Instructor Development Course.
To qualify to be a candidate for the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor course, you must:
- To hold a qualification as a PADI Divemaster or a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months (Contact Us for qualifying credentials.)
- Be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives with experience in night, deep and navigation diving and you will need 100 logged dives to take the Instructor Examination
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months. The Emergency First Response course meets this requirement
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months
- The PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer rating
- PADI IDC Staff Instructor
How much is it ?
The Silver Instructor Deal
This is for the people who wants to manage housing, equipment, material, transportation by themselves and will have to be already trained for CPR and First Aid. It does not include any accommodation, any equipment, no learning material, no scuba diving equipment no transportation or shuttle service. What is included is the instruction, the tanks and fills for required sessions, the food and refreshment on the dive boat.
The Golden Instructor Package
This package has all that the silver package include but also includes a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer preparation with instructor rating for 5 PADI Specialities
The Platinum Instructor Plan
Everything for the course is included which means all the material, accommodation, set of equipment, tanks, meals and drinks. A stylish new bungalow with hot shower, air conditionning or fan and confortable bed. All the learning material and PADI material required for the course. A full set of premium brands equipment for the duration of the course. All the tanks and refills required to complete the course. All the breakfast and lunches for the sessions at the centre and on the boat. It also includes the instructor course for the 5 PADI Specialities of the MSDT preparation.
Additional PADI fees
Also candidates will have to cover the fees for the IE, the EFR Instructor application fees and the processing fees to PADI for each of the MSDT specialty instructor rating and the MSDT rating itself if they choose this option. The fees from PADI are as follow:
- $760 AUS for the IE
- $233 AUS for the OWSI application and processing fees
- $138 AUS for the EFR Instructor application and processing fees
- $91 AUS for each of the Specialty Instructor rating of the MSDT